Welcome to the University of Maryland!
Before being able to access many online resources at the university, you must establish your online identifier, your Directory ID, and an associated password.
Here are the steps to follow in order to establish your Directory ID and password:
- Identity Proofing - We do not, at this time, require in-person identity verification, so, as an alternative, you must provide several facts that uniquely identify you. This information includes:
- a portion of your Social Security Number,
- your surname (last name),
- your birth date, and
- a phone number that you we have on file for you.
- Once we have verified your identity, you may select your Directory ID. An initial ID has been established that is based on your name. You may keep this pre-assigned ID or choose a different ID. Please, carefully consider your choice, because this ID also defines your email address and login IDs at the university.
- In order to accept your ID, either the pre-assigned one or the one you choose, you must review and agree to the Policy on the Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources, which applies to all members of the university community.
- Once you have established your Directory ID, you will be asked to establish your initial password to the system.
- Next, you will need to provide answers to several security questions. If you forget your password, your responses to these security questions may be used to establish a new password.
- Finally, you will be able to activate your Division of IT supported accounts, including your email account.
Start here to automatically be taken through the entire process.
New Faculty, Staff, and Affiliates, starting from this page, you may
- Accept your pre-assigned Directory ID (or select an alternative). You will use your Directory ID to log in to a number of systems and services. It will also be the first part of your email address.
- Set your initial Directory password. The Directory password is used, along with your Directory ID to access several University of Maryland systems and services, such as online timesheets and university email accounts.
- Activate your UMD accounts.
Existing Faculty, Staff, and Affiliates, start here to request additional account access.